Schoolwide Enrichment Model
Laurel Mountain Elementary (LME) cultivates the individual gifts and talents of every child through the implementation of the Schoolwide Enrichment Model (SEM). This enrichment program is embedded in all classrooms and practiced every day by every student.
SEM provides teachers with tools and methods that support their ability to:
- discover your child's preferred learning style,
- focus on each child's individual strengths,
- emphasize self-esteem, and
- encourage independent critical thinking.
These elements help develop the whole child for a lifetime of success.
This educational philosophy has been lauded nationwide as the model to develop the best and brightest students. Our adoption of and commitment to these practices has won our school numerous recognitions and awards.
The SEM components that affect your child in the classroom every day include:
- Kindergarten LEGO Educational Kits
- 1st and 2nd grade LEGO WeDo Kits
- 3rd and 4th grade Simple Machines LEGO Kits
- 5th grade NXT LEGO Mindstorm Kits
- 3rd Grade Longhorn Garden
- 5th Grade Edible Garden
- 5th Grade Nature Preserve
- Independent Investigative Method (IIM)
- Research model utilized in all grade levels with individuals, small groups and/or whole classes.
- Compacting Math Enrichment
- When students demonstrate a level of proficiency on a pre-assessment focusing on a specific math concept, they are allowed to exchange instructional time for accelerated and/or enriched work relating to the math concept being taught in class. (Grade level varies.)
- Primary Education Thinking Skills (PETS)
- Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade
- KIDS Kits
- A collection of resources organized by students' interests - 25 different topics available for check-out by teacher.
- Renzulli Learning System
- A computer-based learning tool designed to put students in touch with engaging and individualized resources. It also allows the teacher to recognize each child's learning style and personal interests.
- Total Talent Portfolio
- Includes student Renzulli Learning Profile, Interest Survey, and Talent Development Action Record which is updated every school year.
- Service Leanrning Projects
- A teaching strategy through which students apply what they're learning in school to identify, research and address community needs.
- Philanthropy Mentoring Program
- Provides a student, teacher and/or class with a Philanthropy Mentor to offer a helping hand through a project that focuses on the giving of one's time, talent or treasure for the sake of another or for the common good.
- Special Speakers and Community Resources
- Invited professionals that share world experiences with students and staff on a variety of topics in specific areas of interests.
- Professional Development for Staff
- Includes training, workshops and resources for all teachers.
- Collaboration Resource for Teachers and Students
- Our Enrichment Coordinator partners with staff and teaches on a regular basis in the classroom.
- Enrichment Clusters
- Small, student-driven groups which focus on specific interests offered in all grade levels for 6-8 weeks at a time. Fifty different clusters were offered in the 2011-2012 school year.
- Enrichment Slot (E-Slot)
- Special topics or projects, based on student interests, occur every Friday for all students.